How to Make Cuban Ropa Vieja
- 3 lb. brisket
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups Mojo marinate (or substitute with 1-part lime juice and 2-parts orange juice)
- 2 cups dry white wine (optional)
- 1 15oz. can tomato sauce
- 4oz. pimentos, sliced
- 4oz. Spanish green olives
- 6oz. baby peas
- Place Instantpot on sauté setting.
- Add half of olive oil to pot and brown the salt and peppered brisket on both sides. Once browned remove and set aside.
- Add half the onions and 3 garlic cloves and cook till onion is translucent.
- Deglaze with white wine.
- Return the brisket to pot and and add Mojo marinate.
- Cover pot and cook in meat setting (60 minutes).
- Once brisket is cooked, remove from pot and shred the brisket. Do not discard cooking juices.
- Strain cooking juices and set aside.
- Add olive oil and and other half of onion, garlic and the diced red pepper, sauté till cooked.
- Add the shredded brisket to pot.
- Add tomato sauce and 1-cup of brisket juice, season in needed.
- Add pimentos, Spanish olives to pot. Simmer on sauté setting for additional 15 minutes.
- Garnish with baby peas and serve over rice.