Paella de Pollo (Chicken Paella)
Author: Chef Juan
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- ¼ cup Spanish olive oil
- 4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs - cut in strips
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 15oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups Bomba rice, or a short grain rice (you can use long grain but it is not traditional)
- ½ cup sweet peas
- ½ cup Pimentos or roasted red peepers, diced
- 1 lemon cut in half.
- Add chicken stock to sauce pan and bring to a slow boil. Add saffron and salt to taste. Turn off the heat add leave stock to be infused with saffron.
- Place paella pan on burner on medium high heat. Add olive oil till you see light smoke. Add chicken till it browns. Add paprika, salt and pepper, continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add green beans and red peppers and saute for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic, stir well. Saute for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the warmed chicken stock to paella pan. Stir all ingredients well. Bring to a boil. Add rice and mix well. Once you add the rice and have mixed well, do not stir paella again. Lower temperature to a Low Heat and SIMMER rice for 20-30 minutes depending on your heat source. The rice will absorb all the chicken stock.
- Once you can not see any more liquid. Turn off heat, cover with a towel for 10 minutes. The rice will continue absorbing the stock and all its delicious flavors.
- Remove the cover and garnish with peas and pimentos. Place lemon half in middle of paella and squeeze the other half of lemon on paella.